Trying to work this new IMU-on-a-chip unit into my Arduino breadboard, but ye spirits of serial comms were just not in the mood today. Setup the Python libraries that were kindly provided for visualisation, got all the wires up ok, but I think this is really one of those times when you realise the answer lies in diving into those chip specs. Digging a little deeper, apparently the accelerometer etc are switched off by default, and need to be set in the registry file.
Problem is, going through the Arduino code provided shows various sensor data being averaged and fused together to provide a coherent output. So wrong place then. I even got the dummy “yes you have the thing switched on” line that pops up on the serial monitor at 115k baud. Tried to focus just on the LSM303DLM accelerometer libraries, which are fairly straightforward cpp/h files with a bunch of examples that run off those, but guess it was the end of the day (or I didn’t read the chip parameter specs closely) and I ended up running the serial check example. When nothing came through, just called it a day.
Sometimes ye spirits of serial comms don’t smile, and those days you just have to give it your best and convince yourself with “I learnt something today”. Tomorrow is a new day and another chance at cracking the mystery of the IMU-on-a-chip!